Summary of Ordinances- Please note these are only the ordinance summaries.
SUMMARY OF ORDINANCES 1954-2014
1. It is unlawful for any person to discharge firearms, rifles, and air pistols or pellet guns within the city limits of Woodlawn Park, KY. Fine: $10 to $100 for each offense.
BUSINESS (SALES & TRADES)
2. Any person engaged in a sales or trade business in the City of Woodlawn Park shall obtain an annual license for which he/she shall pay a minimum of $50 annually. Total fee shall be in accordance with Subsection A and Subsection B of Ordinance No. 3, Series 1992, update with #3 series 2005-2006. Fine for violation shall be in accordance with Section 8 of Ordinance No. 3 which states that any person violating any provision of this ordinance shall be fined $100 and each day of violation shall be a new offense.
3. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or organization to dump any garbage or other waste material within the city limits. Ref.: Ordinance No. 5, 1993-1994. Fine: uncontested violations; first offense - $25, second offense - $50, all others - $100, contested violations; first offense - $75, second offense - $150, all others - $300.
4. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or organization to operate, or cause to be operated, any vehicle on streets within the city limits in excess of 18,000 gross pounds, without first obtaining a special permit from the Chief of Police of Woodlawn Park. Fine: $10 to $100.
5. It is unlawful to maintain any vacant lot or other premises within the municipality of Woodlawn Park, on which rubbish is allowed to accumulate, weeds or long grass to grow, or any water allowed to collect and lie stagnant. Fine: first offense - $10 to $25, subsequent offense - $25 to $100.
6. It is unlawful for any person, corporation or agent to engage in peddling of ice cream, Popsicles, candy, confectionary, popcorn or other items designed to be sold primarily to children, unless said peddler is operating from a human powered vehicle. Fine: $10 to $100.
7. It is unlawful to allow pets to run at large within the City Limits (away from the premises of its owner and not on a leash). Ref.: Ordinance No. 5, 1988. Fine: uncontested violations; first offense - $25, second offense - $50, all others - $100, contested violations; first offense - $75, second offense - $150, all others - $300. This is also a state statute.
8. See Louisville Metro Ordinances, Sections 91 and 96.
9. The speed limit on City maintained streets within corporate limits of Woodlawn Park has been established at 25 mph and provisions for 4-way stops, stop and yield signs within the City.
10. No outbuilding shall be erected except one garage and/or one storage building on each lot, said garage shall provide space for no more than two (2) cars and said storage shed shall comply with the following regulations:
A. Exterior building dimensions shall not exceed 121 square feet or eight (8) feet in height.
B. No portion of storage building can be located on existing easement.
C. Building cannot be located closer than two (2) feet to property line.
D. Total area occupied by an accessory building, including garage and storage building cannot exceed 30% of rear yard area (on lots with detached garage, the sum of garage area plus storage building must not exceed 30% of total rear yard area).
E. Storage building cannot be used as a garage for the storage of an automobile and must be provided with a door to shield interior view.
F. On lots using septic tanks, storage buildings cannot be located over any portion of lateral field. (Obsolete, but still part of Ordinance.)
G. All storage sheds shall be located behind the rear building line of each house and no storage shed on a corner lot shall be located any nearer the street than the house which is located on said corner lot.
H. All storage sheds shall be affixed to the real estate upon which they rest and shall conform to the general type of architecture and consist of the same general types of materials typically used in the construction of houses within the City of Woodlawn Park.
I. Any person desiring to locate or construct a storage shed shall submit a request to the City Council or its designated representative accompanied by a $10.00 fee payable to the City of Woodlawn Park. Said request shall include a description of the shed, including a description of the materials of which it consists, its dimensions, and a drawing of the proposed location of the shed in relation to the boundary lines of the property and the rear building line of the house. Within thirty (30) days after receipt of the request, and if it is determined that the request is in conformity with the provisions of this Ordinance, the person so authorized shall issue a permit authorizing the construction and/or placement of the storage shed.
J. Any person who shall violate any provision of this Ordinance shall have committed a civil offense and shall be subject to the following schedule of civil fines for each offense: uncontested violations; first offense - $25.00, second offense - 50.00, all others - $100.00, contested violations; first offense - $75.00, second offense - $150.00, all others - $300.00. Any continuing violation of this Ordinance shall be considered a separate offense for each day that such violation continues, and a separate penalty may be imposed therefor.
11. No stucco, concrete block or cinder block house shall be permitted and no garage or carport shall be permitted unless that wall of the garage or carport (or two walls on garages or carports constructed on corner lots) facing the street is constructed of brick or stone veneer; wood paneling or vinyl or metal siding. The remaining sidewalls may be concrete block, cinder block or stucco construction provided walls are painted on exterior. The roof of the garage or carport shall be consistent with the character and composition of the roof of the principal structure on the lot and shall be equipped with gutters.
12. Grass on all subdivision lots within the City of Woodlawn Park shall be cut to a height on no more than eight (8) inches and the property must be kept free of unnecessary trash and debris. It shall be unlawful to park, store or leave for a period in excess of seventy-two (72) hours any vehicle which is rusted, wrecked, junked or partially dismantled condition unless this vehicle is completely enclosed within a building. Fine: first offense $25. Subsequent offenses $25 to $150, if uncontested.
13. It shall be unlawful for any person to park any motor vehicle, boat or trailer on the unpaved portion of any lot or other undeveloped and un-subdivided property within the City of Woodlawn Park. No such vehicles shall be parked closer to the street than the front of the residence or the setback line of the lot. Ref.: Ordinance No. 1, 1994-1995. A "paved area" shall mean a solid, unbroken surface consisting of concrete or asphalt. Loose gravel or rock shall not be considered a paved area. Ref.: Ordinance No. 4, 2003. Fine: uncontested violations; first offense - $25, second offense - $50, all others - $100, contested violations; first offense - $75, second offense - $150, all others - $300.
14. Section 1. Except as provided in sub-paragraphs A. B. and C hereof, boundary fences may be erected only behind the rear building line of each house and/or lot and shall not exceed seventy-two (72) inches in height above the established elevation of said lot.
A On all lots directly adjoining the railroad tracks and/or Watterson Expressway, a privacy fence or wall not exceeding eightyfour (84) inches in height may be constructed along so much of said property as directly adjoins said railroad tracks and/or Watterson Expressway.
B. Privacy fences may be constructed to a height of seventy-two (72) inches.
C. The City Council may grant variances for the construction of privacy area screens to a height of eighty-four (84) inches behind the rear of building line of each home in such instance as City Council deems it appropriate or necessary for the added or necessary privacy of the individual homeowner or resident.
D. No fence shall be built on a corner lot any nearer the street than the house which is located on said corner lot.
Section 2. The following provisions and regulations shall control the construction and installation of all fences and/or privacy area fences:
A. Any person desiring to construct a fence, boundary or privacy area screen shall submit their request to the person responsible for issuing fence permits. Said request shall include a list of the building materials to be used, a description of the type of fence or screen to be constructed, its height and length and a drawing of the area to be fenced in or screened. It shall include the location of the house on the lot and the street and any other important features of the property. A rough drawing, not necessarily to scale, will suffice. Within thirty (30) days after receipt of said request, and if it is determined that said request is in compliance with the provisions of this Ordinance, the councilperson so authorized shall issue a construction permit to the applicant upon payment of a $10.00 fee.
B. All fences and privacy area screens erected must conform to the general type of architecture and value of the improvements already in existence within the City of Woodlawn Park. All fence posts, supports and braces shall be on the inside of the fence. Under no circumstances will a chain link fence in excess of sixty (60) inches in height be approved for construction and installation.
C. If any fence or privacy screen is constructed within an existing easement, it is with the understanding that said fence or privacy screen will be immediately removed by the owner of the fence at his or her expense, if an when directed by the City or the owner of the easement, as the case may be.
D. No non-conforming fence existing at the time of the enactment of this Ordinance must be repaired or rebuilt if the cost of repairs or rebuilding said fence exceeds 50% of the cost of constructing a new fence in conformity within the Ordinance.
E. Should a variance to this Ordinance be requested, the request shall be submitted to the City Council at its regular meeting for consideration. A decision will be made no later than the following regular City Council meeting as to whether to grant said variance.
F. Fence permits are valid for sixty (60) days from date of issue and may be renewed for an additional sixty (60) days.
Section 3. The City Clerk shall keep records of permits. The clerk will also keep on file all request for fence permits granted or denied. A report of fence permits issued will be made monthly to the council. The report will list address, name of person receiving permit and a brief description of the request.
Section 4. Any person violating any provision of this Ordinance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not less than $25 nor more than $100 for each offense and each day of violation constitutes a separate offense.
15. It shall be unlawful for any resident or visitor to park any motor vehicle, boat, trailer or other personal property on the city streets of Woodlawn Park if space is available in the driveway of resident. Ref.: Ordinance No.: 1, 1990. Fine: uncontested violations; first offense - $25, second offense - $50, all others - $100, contested violations; first offense - $75, second offense - $150, all others - $300.
SAID VEHICLE IS SUBJECT TO TOWING TO HOLDING LOT AT OWNER'S EXPENSE.
16. The City of Woodlawn Park has established a police department currently consisting of a Police Chief.
17. It is unlawful to discard any trash, grass or debris on any property easement in Woodlawn Park. Fine shall not be less than $50 or more than $500 or not to exceed more than thirty (30) days in jail or both. Each additional day shall constitute a separate offense. Ref.: Ordinance No. 5, 1993.
18. No person shall engage in the solicitation of contributions or the sale of goods or services within the city without first obtaining a solicitation permit from the Mayor.
Each person, firm, organization or corporation that leases real property or improvements to real property within the City of Woodlawn Park, KY is deemed to be engaged in business and shall obtain an annual license from the City Treasurer by no later than April 1st of each year at a minimum cost of $250.00. Any person who shall violate any provision of this Ordinance shall have committed a civil offense and shall be subject to a maximum fine of $250.00 for each violation thereof, subject to the following schedule of civil fines for each offense: uncontested violations: first offense - $100.00, second offense - $150.00, all others $200.00, contested violations; first offense $150.00, second offense $200.00, all others $250.00.
UNLICENSED OR INOPERABLE VEHICLES
It is unlawful to keep any wrecked, untended, unlicensed or discarded vehicles on or about the premises. Ref.: Ordinance No. 3, 2000. The property owner shall be fined not less than $25 nor more than $100 per offense and each day of violation constitutes a separate offense. Fine: uncontested violations; first offense - $25, second offense - $50, all others - $100, contested violations; first offense - $100, second offense - $200, all others - $300.
THE FOREGOING IS A MERE SUMMARY OF SOME OF THE CITY ORDINANCES. ANY CONFLICT BETWEEN THE SUMMARY OF ORDINANCES AND THE ORDINANCES THEMSELVES, SHALL BE RESOLVED BY THE TERMS OF THE ORDINANCE